Guide to Entertaining Etiquette draws on Debrett’s expertise to explore and celebrate the many British rituals, customs and traditions that punctuate the year.
If you are thinking of throwing a party, or inviting friends and family to eat, drink and be merry, this delightfully practical guide, structured around the four seasons, has all the advice you need to ensure your guests are entertaining with style and panache.
Highlights from Debrett’s Guide to Entertaining Etiquette:
- Managing the guest list, invitations, formal and informal functions.
- The perfect host: confident entertaining (with plenty of planning)
- Challenging foods and how to eat them, from artichokes to lobster.
- How to cater for the more fastidious visitor – diets, allergies, intolerances
- Entertaining SOS: how to cope when it all goes wrong.
- Afternoon Tea: How the sandwich was born out of gambling
- Looking after different generations, from tiny tots to elderly visitors.
- Get it right: glassware, table settings, serving wine, making cocktails.
- Seasonal highlights, recommended recipes, chef’s tips and tricks.
- Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Bonfire Night – making the most of our annual events.
- Out and about, hosting special events – opera-house and race-day picnics, cricket club teas.
- Day-to-day cooking, from Sunday roasts and summer barbeques to after-school teas and impromptu suppers.
Published 14th March