Have you decided that 2019 is going to be the year you land your dream job?
You’re not alone, January continues to be the busiest month of the year for job applications. So, what can you do to ensure that your CV gets noticed and you progress to the first round of interviews? Here are our top five tips:
1. Write a cover letter. So many candidates decide not to include one and this means they’re not giving themselves the opportunity to highlight specific skills and experience from their CV. Attaching a cover letter also allows you to project your personality, as well as showing your knowledge of the company’s recent news i.e. a merger with another business.
2. On average, a hiring manager looks at a CV from anything from six seconds to two minutes (if you’re lucky!) Ensure that your CV is clear and has a logical format. It should highlight your skills, experience and achievements. Finally, make sure your CV shows you as human and someone who is sociable, flexible and that has interesting hobbies outside of work.
3. Be honest. The CV is a legally binding document, meaning that you can and will be removed from a role that you have bluffed your way into.
4. Include an opening statement and think of it as your elevator pitch. Concisely say who you are, what you do and how you do it. If you are writing a cover letter to accompany your CV, then you only need to create a new cover letter and tweak the opening statement on your CV for each application.
5. Finally and most importantly; don’t use your CV to describe your roles in terms of goals and duties, most recruiters can guess them from your job title. You must talk about your accomplishments and how you personally made a difference in the role. This is what will get you to the interview and will help you sell yourself when you do.
Boost your confidence for interviews and land your dream job with expert training from Debrett’s tutors. Call +44 (0)203 950 5240 to find out more.
Best of luck with your job search!