Round 1: Events & Dress Codes
1. What kind of collar should men wear to a black tie event?
2. Divorcees were not allowed to enter the Royal Enclosure at Ascot until which year?
3. Morning dress should not be worn to an event starting after what time?
4. In what order do the following traditionally take place at a formal event?
5. Which of the following should not be worn together?
6. When were women first allowed to wear trousers at Royal Ascot’s Royal Enclosure?
7. Where are women NOT permitted to wear trousers?
8. What is the dress code at the Last Night of the Proms?
9. Stockings or “hose” worn with highland dress are never which colour?
10. What colour tailcoat do men wear for a white tie dress code?
Round 2: Modern Manners
11. What should you do if you forget someone’s name when you’re talking to them?
12. What is the traditional response to the question “How do you do?”
13. In which of these countries is it NOT customary to tip?
14. What’s the best way to extract a mussel from its shell?
15. What should you do with your napkin after a meal?
16. If greeting someone with a double-kiss, which cheek should you aim for first?
17. Who said, “Electric communication will never be a substitute for the face of someone who with their soul encourages another person to be brave and true”?
18. On a date, who should pay the bill?
19. What is Nomophobia?
20. It’s New Year’s Eve and midnight is approaching. How should you open the champagne?
Round 3: Titles, Honours & Forms of Address
21. Which of the following is the highest honour in the Order of the British Empire?
22. What is the highest grade in the Peerage?
23. How do you pronounce “Belvoir”?
24. In which order of precedence are the following listed?
a) The Duchess of Cambridge
b) Princess Beatrice
c) The Countess of Wessex
25. Which 19th Century Duke had the nickname ‘Nosey’?
Round 4: Weddings
26. Which Queen wore an engagement ring created with stones that spelled out the name of her fiancé?
27. What is traditionally preserved after a wedding for the christening of the newlyweds’ first child?
28. If a man is wearing morning dress to a wedding, when should he remove his top hat?
29. What is the traditional format for a wedding invitation?
30. Why did men first wear wedding rings?
1. b), 2. a), 3. b), 4. a), c), b), 5. b), 6. a), 7. a), 8. c) (although patriotic fancy dress is encouraged), 9. b), 10. b), 11. b), 12. c), 13. b), 14. c) (but using a fork (a), is perectly fine and earns a point too), 15. a), 16. a), 17. c), 18. c), 19. a), 20. b), 21. b), 22. a), 23. a), 24. b), a), c), 25. a), 26. b) – the stones were Beryl, Emerald, Ruby, Topaz, Jacinth and Emerald, spelling ‘Bertie’, 27. b), 28. b), 29. a), 30. b)
How did you get on? Share your score in the comments section below.