Ushers' Duties Before the Ceremony
The ushers will be the first to arrive at the church/register office. They will have several key tasks:
- Distributing the orders of service, leaving some at the front for the wedding party. Ensure that the officiant has an order of service for the bride and groom.
- Checking the reserved seating. Usually a few rows at the front are kept free for immediate family members and the wedding party, but there may also be special seating for elderly or disabled guests.
- Ensuring that seats next to the aisle are allocated to parents with babies or young children.
- Distributing the buttonholes to the groom's party.
- If it's a hot day, making sure there are bottles of water on standby; if it's raining, having umbrellas to hand.
- Supervising the parking and ensure easy access for the bridal cars. A space should also be reserved for the photographer, elderly or disabled guests.
- Making sure that any confetti is in the correct place ready for distributing to guests after the ceremony.