Civil Ceremony Readings
A civil ceremony will usually have one or two readings. The couple should spend time choosing the texts.
- As a civil ceremony is usually quite short, the choice of readings is important.
- The readings must be non-religious. Poems, extracts from novels or song lyrics are chosen.
- Usually close friends or relatives are asked to read. Choosing both male and female readers creates a good balance.
- The chosen readers should be confident public speakers.
- The couple should provide them with their readings in advance of the wedding day so they can practise.