Where it has been difficult to book a church wedding due to circumstances such as a previous divorce, a service of blessing provides a satisfactory compromise for both the church and the couple.
- Most ministers will agree to preside over a service of blessing.
- A church blessing is very different from a church wedding because the banns are not called and there is no entry in the marriage register of the church.
- During the service, the minister will usually give a brief address and prayers are said to bless the marriage.
- The questions of what to wear, the number of guests, flowers and music should be discussed with the priest.
- There are no legal requirements or set fees.