A traditional church ceremony will include two or three readings. The couple should speak to the ceremony officiant and spend time choosing the texts.
- The officiant will be able to make suggestions to the couple of popular or favourite readings.
- Church readings are usually religious. If there are two or three readings, then the couple may be allowed to also have a non-religious poem or text.
- Usually close friends, relatives or godparents are asked to make a reading. It is a nice balance to have both male and female readers.
- They should be confident public speakers who will not feel overwhelmed by the prospect.
- The couple should provide the readers with a copy of the reading far in advance of the wedding so that they have time to practise.