As weddings involve a substantial financial outlay, insurance should be purchased as soon as the date is set and before any suppliers are booked. Most insurance companies will offer bespoke wedding insurance to couples that require something more specific for their needs. This will also cover special items, for example a very precious tiara.
However, there are various levels of 'standard' wedding insurance where the following will usually be covered:
- Accidental injury to any person.
- Cancellation of the wedding or reception.
- Loss of, or damage to, the wedding attire for the main wedding party.
- Loss of, or damage to, the wedding rings, cake, flowers or presents.
- Failure of any supplier.
- Failure of photographers and videos.
- Failure of wedding cars and transport.
- Legal expenses.
- For marquee weddings, make sure the generator is covered.
N.B. As a general rule, the insurance policy will not cover cancellation costs if either the bride or groom changes their mind...