Engagement Cards, Letters and Presents
It is customary for friends and family of a newly engaged couple to send a letter or card; they may also wish to give a present.
- Traditionally, congratulations should be conveyed in a handwritten letter or card. Friends may also send an email, but this is an occasion where it is worth making the effort of putting pen to paper.
- There are many special engagement greetings cards available; a suitable themed blank card is also fine.
- In a letter or card, it is the norm to congratulate both the bride and the groom.
- The bride's mother traditionally writes to the groom's parents, expressing delight at the forthcoming marriage and suggesting that a date and venue be found for both sides to get together.
- Close friends and family may wish to give the couple an engagement present. This may be done at the engagement party, if one is held.
- The engaged couple should send thank you letters for presents they receive as soon as possible.