White tie - also referred to as 'full evening dress' - is the most formal, and rare, of dress codes that is sometimes specified for formal evening weddings.
Traditional White Tie
- Black single-breasted tailcoat with silk lapels, worn unbuttoned (never to be confused with a morning coat).
- Black trousers to match the tailcoat, with two lines of braid down each outside leg.
- White marcella shirt, worn with a detachable wing collar, cufflinks and studs.
- Thin, white, hand-tied marcella bow tie.
- White marcella evening waistcoat - double or single-breasted.
- Black patent lace-up shoes and black silk socks.
- Traditionally, a top hat is also worn.
- In winter, a black overcoat and white silk scarf can be worn.