Good underwear is an essential investment for the wedding day. The style of dress and the bride's figure dictate what pieces are required; bridal underwear must be worn for the dress fittings.
- Bridal lingerie must be well fitting to create the smooth foundations necessary for a perfect and flattering line.
- Structured dresses - for example those with bodices - may not require a bra because support will be built in.
- Thin, body-clinging fabrics require nude, seam free, invisible underwear.
- Wedding knickers mustn't show: visible panty lines must be avoided - either by wearing control knickers or thongs.
- Basques can provide a good lift, while also holding in the stomach. They are available off the peg or, more expensively, made to measure. They are a good option for plus-sized brides.
- Suspender belts and stockings only work with dresses that have fuller skirts, a lining or under-skirts, otherwise they can show through.
- Traditionally the bride wears a garter, depending on the cut of the wedding dress; a little detail on the bridal garter is a useful way of introducing the wedding tradition of something 'blue'.