From Glyndebourne to Glastonbury - A social calendar for the 21st century
International Test Match
15 June, 2013
Beaufort Polo Club, Gloucestershire
Beaufort Polo Club in Gloucestershire, though
in its present form only nineteen years old, is really a revival of
a hunt polo club which must have been one of the first if not the
first, of the country polo clubs. The old Club was inaugurated in
1872 by Colonel Frank Henry, who had just returned from the ninth
Lancers, which was the regiment responsible for bringing the sport
of polo to England, and had, just three years previously played the
historic polo match against the 10 hussars.
The present Club was formed during the Winter of 1928-1929 by a few members of the Beaufort Hunt under the presidency of the Duke of Beaufort. An ideal site was found in the Big Field at Norton, between Malmesbury and Hullavington on the Pinkney Estate.
The Beaufort Polo Club as it is known now is a small friendly polo club set alongside the Westonbirt Arboretum in one of the most beautiful parts of England. The serenity and tranquillity of the surrounding Cotswold countryside are in complete contrast to the speed and energy of the sport of polo. It is simply one of the most exciting games in the World for player and spectator.
Simon and Claire Tomlinson revived The Beaufort Polo Club with two main objectives: to encourage young players to learn and improve their game; and to provide first class polo facilities for players and spectators alike.