The bestowal of honours by the Sovereign upon his or her subjects has been an integral part of monarchy since time immemorial.
Today, honours may be awarded for gallantry on the field of battle, for courage shown in civilian life, for outstanding achievement in business, sport or creative endeavour, for service in the community or for service to the Crown at home or abroad.
- On average 14 investitures a year are held at Buckingham Palace.
- A list of orders and decorations conferred by the crown.
- An explanation of Honours for Gallantry.
- An explanation of the concept of knighthood.
- Orders of Chivalry.
- An explanation of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal.