Michael Acton Smith, OBE. Founder, CEO and creative director Mind Candy
Chairman: Phil Male.
The UK technology sector is alive and most definitely thriving, with significant government initiatives to stimulate investment and growth both in the public and private sectors. Companies born and bred in the UK, large and small, are standing on a global stage providing innovative products and services in a world where always-on and the network dominate. We have selected individuals who are the key policy makers, those driving investment in the small and the large, and - most of all - the innovators and entrepreneurs who are, and always will be, at the heart of the UK technology sector.
Phil Male has been instrumental in the development of internet and telecoms services in the UK for more than 20 years. After graduating from Imperial he spent his early career with the UK news agency The Press Association, developing new electronic news collection and distribution systems including teletext. He joined internet pioneer Demon as CTO in 1997, floating that business as telecommunications operator THUS in 1999. In 2008 he joined the executive at C&W. Today Phil is CEO of hosting company UK2 Group and serves as a non-executive director for several technology companies, working closely with Private Equity investors.
- Founder and CEO Megabuyte
- Head of Technology Sector OC&C
- Executive director of digital Cabinet Office
- CEO Tech City UK
- Partner and head of Advanced Manufacturing and Technology Services Sector Pinsent Masons
- Co-founder Index Ventures
- CEO BT Technology, Service and Operations
- Vice-chancellor and principal University of Edinburgh and chair Jisc
- Co-founder of lastminute.com
- Founder, CEO and creative director Mind Candy
- CEO CSR plc
- CEO Nominet
- CEO IBM UK and Ireland
- Managing director Yogscast Ltd
- Chief technology officer Home Office
- Professor of cyber security University of Oxford
- Professor of computer science University of Southampton
- Vice-president Google UK
- MD emerging markets partner organisation Cisco UK and Ireland
- Inventor of the World Wide Web