Sir Stephen Bubb, JP (right). Chief executive the Association of Chief Executives of Voluntary Organisations. With brother Nick Bubb, chairman of the Debrett's 500 Retailers sector.
Panel – The NHS Confederation.
We should celebrate rising life expectancy and survival rates from disease, illness and accidents.
The country is rightly proud of the equity of our public health system, with access to essential services for everyone, complemented by excellent private provision. But the challenges are immense - funding pressure and scandals that have shaken our faith in the goodness of people. The necessity to drive efficiency, innovation and quality is unprecedented. Inevitably, politics is never far away.
Reform is essential, to ensure quality and compassion are never compromised, for quicker access to more integrated health and social care and to change the balance between hospital and community based care provision, with greater empowerment of patients to manage their own care.
Accordingly, the list represents a cross section of world class clinicians, inspirational leaders and campaigners; they come from the public, charity and private sectors. They are agents for change and share a passion for healthcare excellence.
The invidious task of selecting just 20 people fell to the NHS Confederation, overseen by Matt Tee, chief operating officer, and Mike Parish, trustee and chief executive of Care UK.
The NHS Confederation is the membership body for all organisations that commission and provide NHS services. Independent of Government and the Department of Health, the Confederation is the only body to bring together and speak on behalf of the whole of the NHS.
- Paul Hamlyn chair of surgery Imperial College London
- Campaigner and founder of Cure the NHS
- Chief executive University College London Hospitals - See more at: http://www.debretts.com/people/de
- Partner The Hurley Group
- Founder Iwantgreatcare.org
- Cardiac surgeon and medical director NHS England
- Chief executive Macmillan Cancer Support
- Chairman Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust Public Inquiry
- Secretary of state for health
- Commentator and blogger, former chair NHS Trust
- Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
- Oncologist and chief inspector of hospitals England
- Group chief executive BMI Healthcare
- Chief executive the Association of Chief Executives of Voluntary Organisations
- Chairman NICE
- Chair of the British Medical Association's GP Committee
- Minister of state for care and support Department of Health
- National director for patients and information NHS England