Trevor Baylis, OBE. Inventor of the wind-up radio.
Chairman: John Weston, CBE.
An engineer has the capacity to shape and redesign the world. The Debrett’s list focuses on those engineers whose contributions to the industry are currently considered to have made the most significant transformations. The Debrett’s list have engineered ways to broadcast life-saving information, conducted vital research into sustainable energy systems or crafted pioneering space technology. With a number of challenges currently facing the Engineering sector, these revelations are even more momentous. A heavily male dominated trade, only 6% of the Engineering workforce in the UK is female. The Debrett’s list hopes to target all areas of the engineering industry.
Currently chairman of a number of small companies in the high technology field, John Weston has spent 40 years in high technology and manufacturing industry. His current companies ; MB Aerospace, an aero engine component business, Torotrack, a manufacturer of continuously variable automotive transmissions, Fibercore, a manufacturer of specialist fiber optic cables, and Accesso, a systems company in innovative queuing devices and ticketing. He has also chaired companies in software, design engineering and on line learning. He was also CEO of BAE Systems, where he spent 32 years.
- A350 chief engineer
- Engineering and technology director Rolls Royce
- Chief technology officer Ford
- Chief technology officer Ricardo
- Group chief engineer Powertrain Jaguar
- Design director Jaguar
- Design director Land Rover
- Chair Board of Trustees Arup
- Founder of Dyson and designer of the Dual Cyclone bagless vacuum cleaner
- Inventor of the wind-up radio
- Chairman of BAE Systems
- Lead car design engineer for Red Bull F1 team
- Technical director Broadcom
- Head Department of Engineering University of Cambridge
- Vice-chancellor Aston University
- Executive director UKERC
- Executive chairman Surrey Satellite Technology
- President Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Former group vice-president Ford Motor Company
- Structural engineer