Golden Rules of Gym Etiquette
1. Wipe down your equipment each time you use it. No-one wants to sit in your sweat. Carry a towel with you wherever you go.
2. Make sure your kit is clean before you even set out for the gym.
3. Be courteous to other members. You're not the only one working out.
4. Leave your mobile and pda in your locker.
5. Don't hog the machines. If you're waiting to use something, let the person who is on it know you are waiting. They should ask you whether you would like to work in with them between sets.
6. Check your personal hygiene. In an atmosphere where people will frequently be gasping for breath, no-one wants a whiff of your armpits.
7. Keep your clothing modest. You may be cooler in skimpier gear, but others won't want to be near you when you're lunging. Never go bare-chested or barefoot.
8. Mirrors are for honing your technique; they are not an opportunity for you to vainly admire your body.
9. Music through earphones should only be audible to you.
10. Return your weights. Just because you can lift a house doesn't mean the next person who wants to use the dumb-bells can.
11. Be sensible. Don't stack up the weights on a machine to impress others nearby. You'll injure yourself or you might also drop the weights, which is dangerous.
12. Keep noise to a minimum and keep your grunting to yourself. Don't get distracted by or stare at girls working out.