Guide to Gym Equipment
It is sensible for new users to seek advice from a professional fitness instructor, but this is a simple guide to the some of the fitness equipment you are likely to encounter in the gym.
- Treadmill - Either walking or running is a great form of cardiovascular exercise to improve heart and lung function.
- Squat Rack - This will help you burn calories and work the lower body and core muscles - make sure to get advice of correct technique!
- X-Trainer - One of the most popular pieces of cardiovascualr equipment. It is low impact and mobilises the whole body - great for a warm-up exercise.
- Rower - It is important to get the technique right, but once mastered this is a fantastic power exercise working the legs and lower/upper back.
- Chest Press - Fixed resistance machine to tone the chest, shoulders and triceps.
- Lat Pull Down - Pulley machine to develop the upper and middle back muscles. It also works the biceps.
- Leg Press - This heavy duty machine will help you develop strong Quad, Glute and Hamstring muscles.
- Cable machine - A multi-purpose functional piece of kit that allows for rotational movements to develop the core muscles.
- Low Row - A seated position machine designed to work the upper and middle back muscles. It important to retain a good shoulder position on this piece of equipment
- Swiss Ball - A common piece of apparatus now found in all gyms. This will work the stabiliser and core muscles while performing a wide range of movements.