How To: Chop a Onion
1. Hold the
onion on its root end and cut vertically in half.
2. Take one half and peel off brown papery layers, working from the top towards the root, until the flesh is exposed.
3. Trim off the pointed end but not the root (this will hold the onion together until it's fully chopped).
4. Place on a board cut-side down, and make a series of parallel cuts that stop just short of the root. The ﬁner the required dice, the closer together the cuts should be.
5. Then make a horizontal cut (with your knife parallel to the board) though the middle of the onion half, again stopping just short of the root.
6. Finally, make a series of cuts across the onion at right angles to the earlier cuts, right up to the root.
7. The diced flesh will fall away. As before, the ﬁner your slices, the ﬁner the dice.
Repeat on the other half.