Notorious for striking fear into the hearts of even the most self-confident, interviews are a genuine opportunity for candidate and prospective employer to weigh each other up.
- Immaculate presentation is essential, but gauge the formality of the company before donning your three-piece.
- Do some preparation, but remember that the interview is about you and not what you know about the organisation.
- Select a few relevant facts instead, and explain how your experience is appropriate for the requirements of the job.
- Don't be afraid to enthuse about your achievements, but be honest and never name-drop.
- Always ask questions; they provide a good opportunity for creating a more natural conversation and assessing the chemistry between you.
- Thank the interviewer warmly.
- Whatever the outcome, your response should be gracious. Never burn bridges.