For romantic succcess, follow our tip dating tips...
- The inviter is responsible for taking care of organising the arrangements.
- Punctuality is important; being up to 15 minutes late should not be a problem, but more than half an hour late may look rude unless you have a genuine excuse.
- Make a confident entrance and think about your greeting in advance. A social kiss will be expected.
- Only offer compliments when you believe them, and don't over-compliment -it will make the other person feel uncomfortable.
- Conversation should centre on safe topics such as work, hobbies and family. Make sure you each have equal opportunity to speak.
- Switch your mobile phone off or onto silent and do not answer calls or send text messages. Never put phones/PDAs on the table. Your date should never feel second-best to your technology.
- Remember, you are on show. Your body language and deportment will all play an important part.
- Eye contact is crucial, and watch your facial expressions. Keep flirting fun and light.
- Paying the bill is the responsibility of the inviter, at least on the first occasion. As things progress it is fine to take turns settling the bill.
- Dating is the perfect time for some chivalrous gestures. It is polite for him to ensure that his companion gets home safely. It may be convenient to share a taxi, in which case the woman should be dropped off first, unless this is impractical. If not taking a taxi, a man should accompany a woman to her bus stop/front door/tube station.
- If you do have another commitment to go to afterwards tell your date at the beginning of the evening so they are not left wondering why you are dashing off.
- Follow up with a text or email that evening or the next day.