T to Z
From Table Manners to Weddings, via Taxis, Tea, Titles, Tolerance, Understatement and Weather, our indispensable Guide to British Behaviour.
In This Section
- Follow the Debrett's guide to table manners to ensure you don't offend fellow diners.
- Tact is seen as a way of gently oiling the wheels of conversation and maintaining social relations.
- Black London taxis are a famous British institution.
- The British love nothing better than 'putting their feet up' and enjoying a 'cuppa'.
- When tipping, use your discretion, but err on the side of generosity.
- You may need to do a little bit of homework to make sure you get the title correct.
- Tolerance in every definition is at the very heart and soul of modern manners.
- If you are anxious to pass muster in more class-aware environments you should remember the basics.
- The stiff upper lip is underpinned by understatement, a very British way of speaking.
- The weather is a topic that is deployed nationwide as an ice-breaker.
- How to be a gracious guest at a wedding.