Every year, millions of poppies are sold and, in 2008, The Poppy
Appeal raised over £30 million.
Although there is no strict poppy etiquette, Debrett's have issued some guidelines on how to wear your poppy with pride.
- It is customary to wear a poppy on the left lapel or the left side of your body. This enusres that the poppy is pinned closest to your heart.
- Most popularly, poppies are worn from the end of October to Remembrance Sunday.
- However, some people choose to wear theirs from 1st November until Armistice Day (11th November), or for just the week before Remembrance Sunday.
- Be considerate to poppy sellers: don't ask for change from a bank note and have a suitable donation to hand.
- Most importantly, make sure that you buy a new poppy every year and donate generously to The Poppy Appeal.
For more information, please visit The British Legion